eCommerce Pay Per Click marketing is a technique that is growing in popularity along with the increasing power of the internet, however this does not mean that it hasn’t been without its critics when compared with other methods of advertising that are available today. Many people aren’t entirely sure what eCommerce Pay Per Click (PPC) advertisements are and, to put it simply, they are the types of advertisements that you would expect to see in boxes when you visit other web pages – which are usually relevant in some way either to the website that you are currently browsing, or a website that you have browsed in the past. Advertisers choose to place their ads on specific websites that fit with their target audience, and in return the website owner is given a fee when the advertisement on their website is clicked on. If you’re unsure about whether this type of advertisement would be the right method to choose for your business, then you should take the time to consider the advantages and disadvantages as described below.
Advantages of eCommerce Pay Per Click
1. Get visitors fast, at a set price. If you choose to use eCommerce Pay Per Click advertising, you will be able to set your own budget depending on the amount of money that you have to spend. If you are placing your advertisement on a website, you can say how much you would like to spend, and when your advertisement has been clicked enough times to spend this budget, it will be taken off the search engines until you decide to increase your budget again and add more funds to your advertisement. This is great, as it means that you are able to advertise knowing that you are able to afford it, without having to worry about going over budget at any time. It is a pay-as-you-go advertising technique, which may well suit small businesses who are just starting out in the world of advertising but who might not have a huge amount of money to play with.
2. It gives your brand instant visibility. If you’re running a business that requires advertising, you will want to make sure that it is seen as much as possible so that you can get a higher number of visitors to your website. When you are using eCommerce Pay Per Click advertising, you can be sure that this is the case, as you will be able to make sure that your ads are seen by many people who are browsing the website that you are advertising on. Sometimes, potential customers will see the link to your company and will then find it manually rather than actually clicking on the advertisement that is on the page, which means that you get the click without having to actually pay for it out of your budget – so you should find that you always get slightly more traffic than you are actually paying for when using eCommerce Pay Per Click.
3. You can really target your audience. When you’re advertising, you get to choose the exact audience that will get to see the advertisements that you have placed. This is great, as it means that you’re not wasting money on groups of people who are never going to be able to benefit from your business anyway. For example, if you’re running a business that only ships to a certain country, people living in another country would not benefit from your advertisement at all – therefore you could prevent them from seeing it.
4. Retargeting is an eCommerce dream. Similar to being able to choose your own audience for the advertisements, you will also be able to set it so that the advertisements are shown to people who have visited your website in the past. This means that even if a click didn’t convert into a sale previously, you are exposed to them once again, and may have more luck the second time around. Continuous exposure to a brand is a good way to encourage potential customers to interact with that brand, meaning that this technique could bring with it excellent results.
5. Measured results. When you market using eCommerce Pay Per Click, you will be able to analyse statistics related to who clicks, the action that they performed after clicking, and ultimately how many of those important clicks actually resulted in a sale. This gives you an excellent chance of being able to see just how effective the advertising campaign is, and therefore you can decide whether it is a method of advertising that you would like to use in the long term.
If you have a website with a number of different pages, you may be able to display your own eCommerce pay per click ads on your website. This means that you could easily send users to another page, and you would effectively be paying yourself to advertise your own business, meaning that it would help to direct your traffic to where you want it to be, without you having to pay somebody else to send the traffic in the right direction.
Disadvantages of eCommerce Pay Per Click
- Browsers & accidental clicks. When somebody clicks on one of your advertisements that you have displayed on a website, this does not automatically mean that they will turn into a customer once they arrive at the page. You may find that people click accidentally, and whether this is the case or not you will still need to pay for it, as it counts as one of the clicks that you had budgeted for in your plan.
- Click fraud. You may find that you are the victim of click fraud – which is where people who are competing with your company will click on your ads so that your budget runs out before any real customers have had the chance to find your link. This means that your entire advertising budget could potentially be wasted thanks to this, and therefore you could find that you hardly get any genuine clicks through to your website.
- Competition may be too high. If you choose to bid for keywords on a search engine, you could find that this turns out to be relatively expensive. If you are a new business, you might find that there are many other businesses who have been at the top of the industry for a long time, they may have a larger budget and a loyal following already, and if this is the case you may need to enter into a bidding war if you want to stand a chance of winning any of the keywords that you were hoping for. This may be bad news for you if you know that your budget is particularly low, as you may never be able to have the funds to actually compete properly with others in the industry.
- It is hard to master. If you want to target the right audience, you will need to learn plenty of information about keywords, how they work, and about eCommerce search engine optimisation (SEO). Although this may take time, which could mean that your advertising campaign is pushed back a little bit, learning things like this is certain to be of benefit to you in the long term, and this means that it is well worth taking the time to cement this understanding of exactly how the industry works.
In general, most disadvantages can be avoided by employing the right company to look after your eCommerce Pay Per Click campaigns. Choose carefully! There have been cases in the past of firms offering results to companies, but then never actually being able to deliver them as promised. This means that before you choose the firm that you would like to use, you should take a look at their history in the industry and make sure that they have solid results that they can prove they’ve achieved previously. Doing this will help to ensure that you are entrusting your advertising campaign upon a company with plenty of experience, as this is the best way to ensure that you get the best possible results. Firms who offer a realistic approach and goals, are much more likely to be genuine and trustworthy, so they would likely be a better choice when making the decision of who to hire.
Conclusion of eCommerce Pay Per Click
Ultimately, although there are both positive and negative aspects of eCommerce pay per click advertising, the fact still remains that there are many companies who have had positive results from using this method to advertise their business and services. With this being the case, it is important that you take the time to understand the advantages and disadvantages, as you will then be able to make the decision with regards to whether it is the ideal advertising strategy for you to use.